Subject: Re: "Labelled" is Correct Because It's The English Spelling
From: (Rob Warnock)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 05:39:03 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Message-ID: <>
<> wrote:
| Incidentally, there are some much more unusual UK/US spelling
| differences which would have difficulty coming into line with
| any of the phonetic rules e.g. 'tap' spelt 'fawcett'...

In the U.S. this is spelled "faucet". The only time I've ever
seen "Fawcett" is as a proper name (probably of some Brit!).
The word "tap" is also used, though less commonly.

And "spelt" is spelled "spelled"! ;-}

| and 'wardrobe' (from Fr. garderobe) spelt 'closet'...

Actually, in the U.S. both words are used, but with distinct meanings:

- A "wardrobe" is a standalone piece of furniture, usually tall,
  inside of which one hangs clothes. Alternate names are "armoire"
  and "chifforobe" [the distinction being that a chifforobe also
  contains a chest of drawers, usually down one side].

- A "closet" is a separate room, almost always with a door, of
  sizes varying from quite small (room to hang but a few coats,
  e.g., a hall closet near the front door) to quite large (as big
  or bigger than the bedroom to which it is attached).

[And I won't even get started on "cupboard" and "pantry"...  ;-}  ]


Rob Warnock			<>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607